Position under the general direction of the Controller. Responsible for performing a variety of professional level accounting duties involved in preparing, maintaining, analyzing, verifying, and reconciling complex financial transactions, statements, records, and reports; maintains the accuracy of the Agency’s ledgers financial systems; assists in the preparation and reconciliation of assigned reports, annual audit, and year end closing.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP) and Agency policies and procedures.
· Compiles, calculates and balances accounting information for a specific set of accounts from various sources and prepares account entries i.e. Fixed Assets
· Prepares job cost payroll journals/reports ensuring disbursements are properly and accurately recorded in a timely manner and enters journal entries as required by Controller to ensure accurate and timely monthly, and year end close processes
· Sets up and maintains accurate and complete accounting records, files and supporting documentation
· Maintains General Ledger (Income Statement & Balance Sheet Accounts) verifies and reconciles data and processes correcting entries as needed.
· Verifies and reconciles data posted to the General Ledger with cost reports, researches and resolves discrepancies.
· Participates in monthly closing; analyzes General Ledger details, prepares variance reports.
· Acts as liaison with auditors to provide accounting information and respond to their inquiries throughout the year.
· Performs routine analysis of accounting data, may interpret information and make recommendations or inferences relative to findings. Assists with annual budgeting process; identifies and reports major variances in expenses to supervisor.
· Reviews current procedures and provides feedback to improve effectiveness of the accounting department. Make certain all financial reporting deadlines are met.
· Works with Controller to determine most effective procedures and drafts accounting & finance policies and procedures. As appropriate assists in the implementation of such policies and procedures.
· Develops and maintains job appropriate skills and knowledge of Federal, State, Local, laws, through seminars, publications, workshops or other forms of training/education
· Maintains confidentiality regarding children, families, employees, funders, accounting information and operations of the Agency.
Position requirements include, but are not limited to:
· Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or 2 years of experience in Accounting, preferably both.
· A working knowledge of payroll processing for up to 300 employees, using an automated payroll system.
· A working knowledge of federal and State payroll and tax laws and regulations, and basic accounting principles.
· Strong personal computer skills including data entry, transmission of data, formatting of routine accounting reports, preparation of spreadsheets, and word processing.
· Ability to calculate accurately and efficiently, including ten-key skills by touch.
· Ability to be flexible and work in a changing environment.
· Effective communication skills, both oral and written.
· Ability to work independently and make mature business decisions.